Organs

The Organ casing

History


The first record of an organ at Croydon Minster is an Avery Organ with 24 stops over three manuals only, built in 1794. Pedals were added in 1819 by Elliot and in 1864 the organ was moved from the west end to the north-east end of the church, roughly where the present Hill/Harrison organ is now. In 1867 the organ was lost in the fire which destroyed much of the church. In 1869, following rebuilding of the church by George Gilbert Scott, Messrs. Hill and Son built a new organ of three manuals and pedals. The case was in the position currently occupied by the vestry and the console in the Lady Chapel (on the north side), facing east. A few stops were added by Hill in 1871 and in 1893, when the case was moved one bay west, with the console in the chancel, facing north. In 1904 other additions were made by Hill, the action changed from Tracker to Tubular-Pneumatic and preparation was made for the Solo Organ, the 8 stops of which were added in 1912, when other alterations were made. In 1937 Hill enclosed the choir organ, the organ was cleaned and the swell pedals altered to the balanced type.

In 1969 the console was moved to the St. Nicholas Chapel and various adjustments were made by Harrison & Harrison Ltd, including removing the choir swell box. In 2000 the technology of the console was updated by Harrisons, including the installation of 128 channels of General Pistons.

We have a page listing the Organists of Croydon Minster.

 

Specification

Pedal Organ
Double Diapason 32'
Open Wood 16'
Open Metal 16'
Violone 16'
Bourdon 16'
Principal 8'
Flute 8'
Violoncello 8'
Fifteenth 4'
Mixture 12.19.22  
Trombone 16'
Trumpet 8'
Choir to Pedal  
Great to Pedal  
Swell to Pedal  
Solo to Pedal  
Choir Organ
Bourdon 16'
Open Diapason 8'
Clarabella 8'
Dulciana 8'
Gemshorn 4'
Suabe Flute 4'
Nazard 2 2/3'
Flageolet 2'
Fourniture 19.22  
Regal 8'
Tremulant  
Suboctave  
Unison Off  
Octave  
Swell to Choir  
Solo to Choir  
Great Organ
Double Diapason 16'
Open Diapason I 8'
Open Diapason II 8'
Viola 8'
Hohl Flute 8'
Stopped Diapason 8'
Principal 4'
Wald Flute 4'
Twelfth 2 2/3'
Fifteenth 2'
Tierce 1 3/5'
Full Mixture 17.19.22  
Sharp Mixture 26.29  
Double Trumpet 16'
Posaune 8'
Clarion 4'
Choir to Great  
Swell to Great  
Solo to Great  
Swell Organ- Enclosed
Contra Gamba 16'
Open Diapason 8'
Stopped Diapason 8'
Salicional 8'
Viox Celestes 8'
Principal 4'
Flute 4'
Fifteenth 2'
Mixture 17.19.22  
Oboe 8'
Contra Fagotto 16'
Horn 8'
Clarion 4'
Suboctave  
Unison Off  
Octave  
Solo to Swell  
Solo Organ- Enclosed
Viole d'orchestre 8'
Harmonic Flute
(unenclosed)
8'
Viole Celeste 8'
Concert Flute
(unenclosed)
4'
Cor Anglais 16'
Clarinet 8'
Tremulant  
Tuba (unenclosed) 8'
Suboctave  
Unison Off  
Octave  
Accessories
  • 6 thumb pistons to Choir
  • 7 thumb pistons to Great
  • 8 thumb pistons to Swell
  • 5 thumb pistons to Solo
  • 8 general thumb pistons
  • 8 toe pistons to Swell
  • 7 toe pistons to Pedal
  • Reversible thumb pistons to
    Ch-Pd, Gt-Pd, Sw-Pd, Sw-Ch, So-Ch, Sw-Gt, So-Sw, Pd.32'
  • Reversible toe pistons to
    Gt-Pd, Sw-Gt, Pd.Trom
  • General Cancel
  • Cancel to each manual
  • 8 Divisional Channels
  • 128 General Channels
  • Sequencer operating Generals with 5 "+" and 2 "-" buttons between manuals and 2 "+" Toe Pistons

 

The St. Nicholas Chapel Organ


The St. Nicholas Chapel Organ was, for the first ten years of its life, at All Saints Church, Alton. In 1885 it was moved to St. Mary the Virgin, Preston Candover and in 1997 to Croydon Parish Church.

Specification:

Open Diapason   8
Dulciana   8
Lieblich Gedact   8
Principal   4