Bells Appeal

Victory Bell

The Bells of Croydon Minster have been pealing out across the town since December 1936, when they were dedicated amid much fanfare. The bells were cast by Gillett and Johnston, Croydon's very own bell-foundry, and they are much praised throughout the bellringing fraternity as being a very fine example of 'A Gillett Ring'. Now, they are in need of major refurbishment and so an “Appeal for the Peal” will be launched at the Minster’s Patronal Festival on June 23/24, to raise the £26,000 required to undertake the work.

Bellringing at Croydon has a long history - the first records date from 1599. The present bells have been in situ for nearly 82 years. With a short spell during WW2, they have sounded out most Sundays and have been in demand from visitors from all over the country. They have a magnificent sound; but while they are basically sound and safe, some remedial work now will make them easier to ring and ensure that they remain ringable for many years to come.

The Minster and its ringers will be embarking upon some hefty fund-raising to complete this project, starting with the weekend of June 23/24 when Bell Tower Tours will be offered on the Saturday and an exhibition about the history of the bells can be viewed. You can help by making a donation online on our justgiving page, or by cheque to the Minster, marking it on the reverse: Appeal for the Peal.